From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-project@l.g.o" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:45:23
1 Dnia 2015-09-30, o godz. 16:01:16
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > the Gentoo Council will meet again on Sunday, October 11 at 19:00 UTC in
5 > #gentoo-council on freenode.
6 >
7 > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
8 > or vote on.
9
10 The second issue that may need Council's attention is developers'
11 attitude towards pull request source via GitHub.
12
13 One and a half month since enabling it, we already had almost 150 pull
14 requests from Gentoo users (and a few Gentoo developers who use this as
15 a collaboration tool). Sadly, some developers not only refuse to use
16 GitHub (which is an acceptable choice) but also have very negative
17 attitude towards users submitting pull requests and the developers
18 helping with them.
19
20 The point is, if we want users to submit pull requests, we should be
21 handling them. Then we can't really agree on some developer refusing to
22 look at the request, and requesting the user to re-send it some other,
23 less convenient way. Or another developer just silently ignoring every
24 request and rudely responding to pings.
25
26 Since the amount of work necessary to proxy between users
27 and developers who refuse to use GitHub is huge, I have prepared
28 a script that opens Bugzilla bugs for GitHub pull requests
29 and bidirectionally copies comments between them, therefore allowing
30 Gentoo developers to handle pull requests via Bugzilla at their
31 convenience. However, it is currently waiting for review and approval
32 by Robin before it will get deployed.
33
34 But even then, I need to make sure the developers will actually use it
35 politely. Developers can't really close those bugs 'because it's
36 GitHub', or 'attach a patch', or 'duplicate of #nnnnnn' (because
37 it's a synced bug, it can't be magically coerced into existing bug).
38 In fact, I mailed bug-wranglers about this already but I got no reply.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny
43 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>