From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:04:40
1 On Nov 15, 2012 2:16 AM, "William Hubbs" <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 05:07:26PM +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
4 > > On 13 November 2012 10:40, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Dear Everyone,
7 > > >
8 > > > It is no secret that many of us are unhappy with the direction that
9 udev
10 > > > has taken under the leadership of the systemd developers. That
11 includes
12 > > > Linus Torvalds, who is 'leery of the fact that the udev maintenance
13 > > > seems to have gone into some "crazy mode" where they have made changes
14 > > > that were known to be problematic, and are pure and utter stupidity.'
15 > > >
16 > > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/505
17 > > >
18 > > > After speaking with several other Gentoo developers that share Linus'
19 > > > concerns, I have decided to form a team to fork udev. Our plan is to
20 > > > eliminate the separate /usr requirement from our fork, among other
21 > > > things. We will announce the project later this week.
22 > > >
25 > > I applaud this initiative. I would recommend you contact, and try to
26 work
27 > > together with, the existing fork of udev, which is available in layman's
28 > > udev overlay. There is a corresponding thread on our forums.
29 >
30 > I already tried to open a dialog with these guys; they seem pretty
31 > hostile; another "our way or the highway" approach seemed to be going on
32 > there [1].
33 >
34 > William
35 >
36 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/437570
37
38 The way I see it, hostilities erupted when Suominen dismissed with great
39 prejudice (and a not insignificant amount of jeer) the idea of
40 udev-forking.
41
42 That immediately put the passionate people behind the forked-udev to be in
43 the defensive.
44
45 And you were not really acting as a mediator there William :-)
46
47 Rgds,
48 --