From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Seemant Kulleen <seemantk@×××××.com>, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-project] A plan for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 00:20:24
1 I have had various ideas for Gentoo spanning back to my time as a
2 Trustee. I was working hard them to make them happen and was making
3 great progress in short time. Sadly people got in the way. I have ZERO
4 interest in partaking in this directly myself. I maybe a lowly grunt.
5
6 These are my ideas alone. I have not discussed them with anyone other
7 than briefly in IRC #gentoo-java. No one helped me come up with this.
8 I have no agenda, or role for myself. None of this involves me. I am
9 just going to toss this idea and run. No further comments from me.
10
11 In my opinion what needs to happen for Gentoo is it needs proper
12 organization and long term leadership, period.
13
14 Thus I propose the following.
15 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 - Bring back Daniel Robbins he becomes Benevolent Dictator For Life,
17 which he gave up when creating the foundation long ago. A new
18 position part of the new structure. I have spoken with Daniel briefly
19 publicly in #gentoo-java a few days ago. He is on board, no longer
20 bitter and free of other duties.
21
22 - Council remains as is, and works with Daniel directly, each being
23 basically equal. Nothing changes with council, election, etc. Just
24 slight change in role. Permanent member in a sense, Daniel. But he
25 cannot vote with council. Just shares in technical guidance,
26 attends meetings, etc.
27
28 - Foundation remains as is and also works with Daniel. Daniel serves as
29 like President of the foundation, with other officer positions being
30 filled per Daniel and Trustees appointment. Foundation spends money on
31 officer operations and other things to further Gentoo development and
32 community.
33
34 - Trustees remain as advisers and stewards but are not responsible for
35 day to day. They are to guide and provide wisdom etc. One new Trustee
36 will be added for a life long term, as long as they see fit. Seemant
37 Kulleen. He played an integral role in the early years of Gentoo. He
38 has no idea I am proposing this, so I am throwing him under the bus.
39
40 - Being 3 parts any two can overrule the 3rd. All work together with
41 Daniel serving as the head of both. With all three being directly
42 connected with Daniel facilitating such. No 2 cannot remove
43 Daniel, just overrule. If always overruled obviously would resign but
44 that is not the idea.
45
46 - Funtoo becomes the Fedora of Gentoo. Experimental test ground where
47 radical new ideas are tested and then moved over to Gentoo. All
48 Gentoo devs immediate become Funtoo devs as well. Though not required
49 to do anything. No bothering with opt out etc. Just connecting the
50 two organizations and communities. Unite vs divide!!!!
51 (This may even go so far as to say Funtoo is unstable and Gentoo
52 become stable dropping the entire stable/unstable Gentoo concept.)
53 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
54
55 From there what is next is up the the Daniel, the Foundation, and
56 Council. There is no further plan there. I have ideas but that is not
57 for me to say. It is for the new structure to decide its own future.
58
59 This will involve paid positions. Daniel will draw a salary, a
60 reasonable amount to be agreed upon by Trustees and him. Before anyone
61 goes crazy. Keep in mind he spent his own money to create the
62 Foundation. Gentoo was his and he handed it over. I doubt most anyone
63 would do the same. Most here will hardly give up their own roles...
64 Gentoo's attorney for various things is Daniels attorney. He lives near
65 the guy. Gentoo is still registered in New Mexico where only Daniel
66 lives no other devs, etc.
67
68 Also in most any country there were fore fathers/mothers. People who
69 came before you are respected, have statues, etc. Like Daniel or not,
70 he started Gentoo. He then handed it over and later started Funtoo. How
71 many major distros have you started? Keep that in mind and show him
72 some respect on that level if no others. Give him the benefit of the
73 doubt, good intentions for all vs self motivated he benefits alone,
74 everyone else loses out.
75
76 Ideally this leads to things like bring back Gentoo Weekly News Letter,
77 maybe with a bounty for articles so that is always well fed. Not to
78 mention pay for editors. Grants for developer equipment, travel, etc.
79 Working with vendors to get Gentoo certified on hardware and/or
80 hardware to use for development etc. Things that need a legal
81 representative and organization head. Just some ideas but there could
82 be others. These may never happen, and others may who knows. Not for me
83 to decide or say. Just some ideas.
84
85 These are random thoughts of the good stuff. Of course lots of bad
86 could happen. Though I really do not see how it can be any worse than
87 the past almost decade now. Gentoo cannot survive another decade like
88 the past. Hopefully wrong either way there. If Gentoo even remains in
89 the US. Almost want to bet others seek to move it outside.
90
91 Anyway that's my idea and plan. Do with it what you will. Having been
92 involved and around I see good things really. If others will have an
93 open mind and let others who care more about things you may now. Let
94 their ideas play out.
95
96 Daniel handed over Gentoo. He let the community play out their ideas.
97 Why not be fair and let him have a turn again? I think things were
98 going better back then...
99
100 P.S.
101 I barely know Daniel. We have never met or spoke directly on phone etc.
102 We have had various interactions over the years. Starting with me doing
103 research as a Trustee. Which developed to a mutual professional
104 respect. I have not really ever worked with him much. We do not know
105 each other well.
106
107 I know even less about Seemant and few if any interactions much less
108 publicly. These are not my buddies who will do anything for me if they
109 return. These are just the right guys in my opinion.
110
111 I myself as things have been and how I am seen and treated have no
112 interest in returning. I may serve as a lowly grunt cranking out
113 ebuilds and eclasses. Maybe lead Java direction but doubt I want to be
114 team lead or a developer. I am a bit bitter from the last decade of
115 mistreatment, public defamation, and being prevented from doing work.
116 To limit the massive backlog which now is out of control with Java 9.
117
118 Just disclosing I have no agenda once again. Nothing to do with me.
119 Just an idea to save Gentoo and course correction. Every ship needs a
120 captain. Two drivers never works :)
123 William L. Thomson Jr.
126 William L. Thomson Jr.