From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:27:37
On 14-08-2011 12:12:32 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Quite a few of you know that Council acts as a court in case a developer > has unresolved disputes with Devrel or when he is not happy with a > Devrel's decision. The problem is that having the same people in the > Council and in Devrel makes no sense since the same people will vote > twice on that matter. A developer who wants to appeal to Council, seeks > a review of his case and a fresh voting from new people. However, having > devrel members, which are already biased based on the previous decision, > makes the "Council's court role" a moot role :)
In a way, yes you're right. However, escalations to Council should be rare. Council members were elected by dev community, so apparently people didn't bother about them being to do so. I think it would be elegant when DevRel members in the Council would abstain from a vote, but if that makes a small remaining group of voters... Perhaps it would be better when DevRel members in the Council would be replaced by (their) proxies for such vote? Or should random people picked from the dev community and asked if they want to cast a vote? Perhaps the Council should be released from this task at all, and instead should be given the job to assemble a jury out of the dev community (with non-involvement in DevRel) that is to examine the case, and make a final verdict that the Council will accept/act upon. Just brainstorming along with you. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council? Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>