From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:14:56
1 On 2/4/19 7:38 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Reviews can be done by devs or privileges users. Review by dev gives 3
3 > rep points, and by privileged user gives 1 rep point. Therefore,
4 > a commit is merged if it's either reviewed by dev or 3 privileged users.
5
6 This could be 'exploited' with a group of friends. By exploited I mean
7 small inner circles forming, where people just approve their friends
8 commits without looking at them. I think after 3 approvals it should be
9 pushed to be on top of some(/all) dev's to-be-merged list. But then
10 again, would this system be any faster than current proxy-maint
11 workflow, where other proxied maintainers already review and approve PRs?
14 What about ebuilds not many people have knowledge of? Say, java stuff?
15 If no user wants to take a look, it will always require a review from a
16 dev, and judging how that goes even with current Github PRs, will it
17 _ever_ get approved here?
20 What would motivate a developer to review these ebuilds, if there's
21 still separate proxy-maint stuff to work on?
26 > Users gain reviewing privilege also via reputation points. If a commit
27 > range including user's commit gets merged to master, user gets 1 rep
28 > point (independently of number of commits in the range). When user gets
29 > 5 rep points, he can start reviewing stuff.
30
31 So this requires people to make commits to this overlay before being
32 able to review there? Some system should exist, where for example your
33 commits to ::gentoo counts toward this. Otherwise this could encourage
34 people to make meaningless commits just to satisfy the counter.
37 > Your updated thoughts?
38 >
39 _If_ in this approach a dev is still needed for merging stuff in the
40 end, couldn't this somehow be applied to how the current proxy-maint
41 system works?
44 Is there a chance these ebuilds could end up in ::gentoo? _Could_ there
45 be some voting system for that (although I believe that kills the
46 incentive of ever adding this overlay as a user)?
49 Still gotta say, this should prove to be a nice learning ground, and
50 maybe a good place to host popular not-in-tree packages. Or with
51 semi-dead projects where users are still trying to contribute (like MATE).
52
53 Although I believe everyone's motivation is to get them in ::gentoo in
54 the end.
57 And as asked by someone in the previous thread, what's the plan of
58 cleaning the overlay every now and then? (How?)
59
60 Who takes care of broken packages?