From: Doug Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Clarify language of GLEP 39
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 02:18:40
1 GLEP 39 currently states that "[A project] may have one or many leads"
2 (Specification section, first list, last item). I believe (and a few
3 others agree) that this language is ambiguous, Some projects have
4 interpreted this language to mean that a project may have no lead,
5 while others believe the language is to be interpreted as meaning that
6 projects must have at least one lead. Therefore, I request that the
7 Council clarify the language of GLEP 39 to remove this ambiguity. I
8 offer up the following choices as possible replacements (though feel
9 free to come up with your own):
10
11 "It must have at least one lead, and may have many leads. The leads
12 are selected by the members of the project. This selection must occur
13 at least once every 12 months, and may occur at any time."
14
15 OR (if the Council wishes to allow no lead as an option)
16
17 "It may have no lead, one lead, or many leads, and the leads are
18 selected by the members of the project. This selection must occur at
19 least once every 12 months, and may occur at any time."
20
21 (The slight change in wording in otherwise unaffected parts is to
22 avoid repetitive use of "and" in one sentence.) The reason for the
23 ambiguity in the first place is that the English language allows you
24 to apply the "may" to the collective "one or many leads," which would
25 make any lead optional. Others consider it to just be a choice
26 between "one lead" and "many leads," which is also a valid
27 interpretation.
28
29 I believe that the original intention was that every project would
30 have a lead (indeed, in GLEP 4, which GLEP 39 replaced, every project
31 had a manager, which is the equivalent), but I don't speak for the
32 authors of GLEP 39. It is my personal opinion that every project
33 should have a lead. The lead serves to resolve disputes among project
34 members, coordinate project effort, and be the point of contact
35 between the project and the rest of Gentoo, all on an as-needed basis.
36
37 -Doug
38 dwfreed