From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:39:24
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
> In short,  --Routine_Appointments, ++Monitoring ++AuthortyToAct
Not a bad idea. In fact, I'd probably extend this to most areas of Gentoo as well. Some of these threads get a bit Kefka-ish with all the questions raised about whether the Council has the right to do this or that. These kinds of attitudes amount to "if you don't like it, tough - you have no recourse." If Gentoo has a problem we should fix it - not argue over whether anybody is allowed to fix it. I'm not a fan either of the council (or trustees) micro-managing things, or not having the ability to step in when things get out of hand. These are elected bodies, and generally have not shown a tendency to heavy-handedness in any case. Something Donnie campaigned on also rings true to my ears - we don't need long-standing rules to deal with one-time problems. If a team is out of control, the council should simply step in and fix it, and then let it run its course. The council should be viewed as having authority over the entire developer space, but not as something with day-to-day involvement in everything that goes on. Look at how any business runs. When you have a spat with your boss the owner of the company probably doesn't get called in to sort it out - your boss and his boss just deal with it. However, if the owner of the company does happen to walk in and set things straight, you won't find everybody arguing with him about it. We, as the community, are the owners of Gentoo, and we can make of it what we will. However, having a half-dozen elected representatives to deal with serious issues rather than putting everything to referendum just makes sense. That really applies to both the council and the trustees. So, if there is a problem to be fixed, I say go fix it. If there isn't a problem, we don't necessarily need to look to create one... Rich