From: Virgil Dupras <vdupras@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 23:56:19
1 On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 22:16:46 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm
5 > going to deploy the container most of the time precisely because I don't
6 > need the 'gentoo customized build', particularly when containers offer
7 > isolation boundaries between the application runtime and my system runtime.
8
9 I'm under the impression that the Gentoo way is not so much about customization, but about control. We can be fine with running a vanilla instance, but if we're going to depend on it, we have to have the power to bend it to our will. On the practical side of things, depending on a black box (omnibus packaging) isn't so far away from depending on proprietary software. In both cases, we surrender a great deal of control.
10
11 I'm thinking that the dilemma here isn't whether to properly package a very complex solution or to use their omnibus deployment solution, but rather whether to avoid the software entirely because it involves too much complexity for our infra team to control properly, the need for omnibus packaging being a kind of tautological threshold (if you need it, then it's too complex for us to use).
12
13 Of course, the situation is even worse in this regard with github, but it has inertia on its side.
14
15 Regards,
16 Virgil