From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 08:55:24
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu śro, 20.06.2018 o godzinie 10∶24 +0200, użytkownik Kristian
3 > Fiskerstrand napisał:
4 >> On 06/20/2018 10:16 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>> However, I'm not aware of any good
6 >>> justification for collecting this kind of personal information.
7 >> Immediately I can think of two good reasons for this information, (i) as
8 >> a disambiguifier for matching names, at least across europe it is common
9 >> to refer to an individual "A born DD.MM.YYYY",
10 > Please tell me, how many times did we have to disambiguate two
11 > developers using the same name? Even if we ever have to do that, do you
12 > really think we'd use one's birthday all over the place?
13 >
14 >> (ii) verify legal age for
15 >> entering into agreements. One can argue that without further
16 >> verification of (ii) it has less value, but at least that would be a
17 >> misrepresentation so shifting the question a bit if it ever becomes an
18 >> issue with FLA/DCO etc.
19 > a. 'Legal age' may differ per country, so birth date alone is not very
20 > useful.
21 >
22 > b. There is no reason to store the full birth date if all we need is
23 > a boolean whether someone is of 'legal age'.
24 >
25 > c. We don't even have any clue what to do if someone is *not* of 'legal
26 > age'.
30 Suggestion.  If potential devs don't want want to share their DOB with
31 everyone, why not do it this way.  The mentor asks for, and if needed
32 verifies the age, and then tells whoever is higher up that the person is
33 of age with nothing being recorded or shared except that the age
34 requirement has been met?  That one person would be the only one that
35 knows and that person has agreed to keep it confidential.  It could even
36 be destroyed if needed.
37
38 Personally, I would not want to share my full DOB with everyone either.
39 After all, that is one thing a identity thief needs.  Sharing the year
40 with one person is something I could agree too. Most of the time, the
41 year should be enough to know if a person is of whatever age requirement.
42
43 This may not be a perfect solution but if not, maybe it will start a
44 path that leads to one.  Back to my hole!
45
46 Dale
47