From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 21:06:29
1 I would like to point the community at the following bug
2 https://bugs.gentoo.org/676248:
3 Bug 676248 - non-free licenses are accepted without user prompt
4
5 In summary the question is whether non-free licenses should be accepted
6 by default in Gentoo. today only licenses requiring EULA are not
7 accepted by default. So this is a good opportunity to discuss whether we
8 should deviate substantially from other distros like Debian.
9
10 My personal opinion is we should have a default accepting FSF and OSI
11 approved free/libre licenses and require acceptance for anything else
12 though package.license / ACCEPT_LICENSE. Since we have this model
13 already we don't need a separate repository like debian does for its
14 binary packages, so any change has relatively minor impact on our users
15 as long as it is presented properly and with a proper timeline.
18 Kristian Fiskerstrand
19 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
20 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3