From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2022-23: Questions for Candidates: how to increase contributions
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:01:34
1 On Thu, 2022-06-16 at 18:06 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > A question I'd like the candidates to answer.
3 >
4 > What do you feel that Council can do to increase the contributions to
5 > Gentoo?
6
7 There's actually very little that Council can do, as a body. It's
8 something *we all* have to do, and Council's role here should be mostly
9 to provide the necessary support and guidance when it's required.
10
11 This is a really broad topic, so I'm going to try to keep it short:
12
13 1) Continue making a great distro. Let's be honest -- if people don't
14 find using Gentoo beneficial, we can't expect them to stay around
15 and contribute.
16
17 2) Make contributors feel appreciated. This is open source, the most
18 people can really expect from contributing is satisfaction. If they
19 don't feel their contributions are helpful and appreciated, they won't
20 be contributing for long.
21
22 That's just a start but with these two points satisfied, things are
23 going to steadily improve.
24
25 > - how do you feel development velocity of Gentoo should be measured?
26 > - how do you feel technical debt of Gentoo should be measured?
27
28 I can't really answer these questions unless you define what is the goal
29 of measuring these. Without putting the measures in context, they'd
30 only be meaningless numbers.
31
32 > - how do we make it easier to get orders of magnitude more contributors?
33
34 We've already solved that via GURU. In my opinion, that's the best
35 thing since Sunrise, with the extra feature that we've learned from
36 Sunrise and designed GURU to be self-sustainable.
37
38 We've made a place where people can freely contribute, work together
39 and be satisfied with being able to share their work with more Gentoo
40 users than before. At the same time, they can learn more, improve their
41 skills and eventually become Gentoo developers — and we get that almost
42 for free which means we can focus more on making Gentoo a great distro
43 and working with people who are ready to take the next step.
44
45 > - how do we make it easier to do QA on significantly more contributions?
46
47 Again, this is in large part done thanks to pkgcheck. I mean, we
48 finally have a proper QA tool that's easy to use and fast enough. I've
49 recently tried it on jiji, and pkgcheck was able to do a full ::gentoo
50 scan in 1.5 min!
51
52 The next step is replacing the antiquated CI tooling with something more
53 sustainable; most notably, not relying on humongous git repos to
54 transfer data around.
55
56 > - what blockers do you perceive in the contribution processes, and how
57 > do you think they should be tackled?
58
59 In my opinion, the biggest blocker still remains developers' time. We
60 can't expect to meaningfully get more contributions if we can't
61 realistically merge them. Trying to take our more than we can handle is
62 only going to result in frustration among potential contributors,
63 and in the end it's going to be a loss to Gentoo.
64
65 This is also why we shouldn't be aiming for "orders of magnitude more
66 contributors" -- we should be aiming at steady-but-slow increase
67 in contributors, and the new contributors will be able to onboard even
68 more contributors.
71 Best regards,
72 Michał Górny