From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] OpenPGP Authority Keys to provide validity of developer/service keys
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:30:27
1 On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 2:46 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 15:16 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > Also, as far as I'm aware GLEP 63 does not require an encryption key
5 > > at all, just a signing key. I'm not sure if such signing-keys will be
6 > > signed by Gentoo under this proposal. If not then there is nothing to
7 > > upload to the keyserver, and in any case it seems like the main use
8 > > case of this (sending encrypted email) would not apply. Of course it
9 > > could still be used for verifying email signatures if we sign
10 > > signing-only keys.
11 >
12 > If someone really believes it's fine to have no encryption subkey just
13 > because the GLEP doesn't require one explicitly... It either means that
14 > person is seriously lacking the technical competence, or is a horrible
15 > troll. In either case, I don't believe such a person should be a Gentoo
16 > developer.
19 - Why does setting up GPG to receive encrypted messages imply technical
20 competence?
21
22 - As rich noted, most people have no idea how GPG works and they just do
23 whatever they are instructed to do. I don't think a lack of knowledge of
24 GPG indicates "being a troll" nor "lack of technical competence." Its a
25 terribly designed piece of software from a usability perspective. I
26 understand its a complex space (as many security domains are) but I'm not
27 sure the right way to proceed is to force everyone to learn the inner
28 workings of the space. The goal should be to create a system where users
29 don't have to know all the details but still get a good security value.
30
31 -A
35 > --
36 > Best regards,