From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 06:02:18
1 On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 9:25 AM, NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 06/10/2018 04:34 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >
4 > [...]
5 >
6 >> Copyright Attribution
7 >> ---------------------
8 >>
9 >> All files included in Gentoo projects must contain an appropriate
10 >> copyright notice, as defined by this policy.
11 >>
12 >> A proper copyright notice appears near the top of the file, and reads::
13 >>
14 >> Copyright YEARS LARGEST-CONTRIBUTOR [OTHER-CONTRIBUTORS] and others
15 >>
16 >> The largest contributor is whatever entity owns copyright to some
17 >> portion of the largest number of lines in the file. Additional
18 >> contributors can be listed, but this is neither required nor
19 >> recommended. The "and others" text may be omitted if the explicitly
20 >> listed contributors hold copyright to the entire file.
21 >
22 > Why is this not recommended? Here are a couple of scenarios that came to
23 > mind that lead to me to question how that would play out:
24 > If developer A writes 51% of the lines of an ebuild and developer B
25 > writes 49%, should B not be listed?
26 > What if all the metadata lines defining variables consists of 75% of the
27 > file and was written by A, but the core functionality of the ebuild (25%
28 > by size) was written by B?
29 > If A writes an ebuild, and B replaces a majority (>50%) of the ebuild,
30 > should B remove A from attribution?
31 > I think that specifying that substantial (though not necessarily
32 > specific in defining this) contributions/contributors should included in
33 > the copyright attribution and that substantial contribution attribution
34 > *is* recommended.
35
36 Don't think about the copyright line as attribution or credit. Some
37 projects I work on have Author: lines in files, which I've always
38 found irritating because they're often out of date and generally
39 useless -- if you want attribution just look at git log.