From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest signing
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:27:22
1 On Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:48:35 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > Well, there's a bit more to it than that. 'repoman' must enforce the usage
3 > of keys or die if it can't.
4
5 there's already bugs open for this. 298605 and 313601. if you want to
6 accelerate things, then chip in and update repoman.
7
8 > Also, the Dev Handbook only says 'can', it needs to be changed to
9 > 'must'.
10
11 that is the summary of the article which describes what the page is for, not
12 the policy it enforces.
13
14 > I'd also drop the bit about expiration. Instead, I'd change it to
15 > read "expires no sooner than 6 months". You know, to give the key a moment
16 > to be recognized by some people, perhaps even marginally trusted by
17 > someone.
18
19 i'm fine with extending the length of the key. i think last time this came
20 up, so was everyone else. the point was more disallowing keys that never
21 expire.
22
23 but this doesn't stop anyone from signing their manifests today.
24
25 > What really matters is that it is an unexpired, valid key.
26
27 no, what matters is that the key is unexpired/valid at the time the signature
28 was made, and not revoked after that (simply because it expired ... revoking
29 because of compromise is obviously OK).
30 -mike