From: Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2020 / 2021 Election - Questions for Candidates
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 11:17:16
1 On 19.06.2020 22:25, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > Team,
3 >
4 > Its been my impression that this last years council has had a fairly
5 > easy life compared to previous years.
6 >
7 > Some context ...
8 > The council is now 15 years old. Some concepts were worked out
9 > over a few beers at FOSDEM 2005, formalised over the next six
10 > months and the first council met in quarter 4 2005.
11 >
12 > I have memories of the council being set up as a disputes
13 > resolution body, not a leadership body but that was 15 years ago.
14
15 Last dispute council had to deal with was in March '17.
16 I remember, because accusation was directed towards me in particular.
17 That said, I would not call it disputes body (at least not anymore).
18 I apologize for what may seem as misinformation on my side,
19 but as I am involved in another "disputes" body I can not memorize nor
20 find anything going through the appeal process after this specified time
21 span.
22
23 > Some questions ...
24 > 1. What do candidates see the councils role as in Gentoo today?
27 We currently may see the model of fairly minimal community involvement.
28 Yes, monthly meetings, but with minimal efforts. Fellow developers may
29 object -
30 no agenda items, and as a result no activity. I beg to differ. Council
31 should not be
32 asked to  review anything, it must create its own agenda, based on the
33 community
34 demands,  and existing problems (for sure any council member must be
35 able to identify these problems first).
36 I have an honor of working with some of the
37 long term (and not only) council members in other distro areas. Gladly
38 they also
39 admit, that problems "to solve" exist, and we solve them together
40 (at least the ones I am collaborating with on daily basis).
41 > 2. How do candidates see the role of the Gentoo council
42 > changing in the short term .. say the next few years?
43
44 This only depends on the council members themselves. If what I have
45 described above will be going on for the next few years I am afraid council,
46 as an entity, may fade into obscurity (potentially reformed).
47
48 > 3. Why is this role change required?
49 Because currently we may see, that council has very little cohesion.
50 During the term of 2019/2020 I had been personally involved in at
51 least two debates, where one council member proposed an idea,
52 without prior consultation with the individuals/teams these debates
53 were risen about. This resulted in a pretty ridiculous situation - one
54 council member explaining the other "the basics" (like why this problem
55 was discussed in the past, why it did not make much sense to rise the topic
56 over and over again, also that a member who started the topic had to first
57 talk to the involved parties, and so on and so forth).
60 > 4. How will candidates work to bring this change about during
61 > their term of office, should they be elected?
62
63 By not doing all the negatives I have described above, and by doing what
64 I said each and every council member (in my very opinion) must do.
65
66 Care less about politics, care more about prolific activity.
67
68 > Please start new threads for new questions,