From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 17:47:25
On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 18:38 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello, > > After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to > start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's more > like Sunrise but with some automation in mind. > > Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch, > and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from > private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid > depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e. > public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev. > > Now, reviews are normally done on commit ranges; by default, from > current state of public to current state of dev. When such a range is > reviewed, every commit belonging to it gains reputation. When a range > of commits gets reputation of 3, it is merged to public. > > Reviews can be done by devs or privileges users. Review by dev gives 3 > rep points, and by privileged user gives 1 rep point. Therefore, > a commit is merged if it's either reviewed by dev or 3 privileged users. >
Hm, I should've given an example here. Let's say that commits are named for successive latin letters, i.e. A B C D... Public branch is at commit C. Dev branch is at commit F. User 1 clicks big 'I WANNA REVIEW STUFF' button. He's given a diff C..F. If he approves this diff, commits C..F get +1 point. Now dev branch is at commit H. User 2 clicks the big button. He's given a diff C..H. If he approves it, commits C..H get +1 point. This means C..F has 2 points already. Now dev branch is at commit I. User 3 clicks the big button. He's given a diff C..I. If he approves it, commits C..I get +1 point. This means C..F is merged to public, F..H has 2 points and I has 1 point. Dev branch is at J. User 4 clicks the big button. Now he's given the diff F..J. If he approves, F..J gets +1. F..H is merged, I has 2 points, J has 1 point. Next review would be based on H..master, etc. -- Best regards, Michał Górny