From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 03:07:48
1 On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 7:10 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > I'd like to propose that the gentoo-project mailing list also becomes
3 > white-list only to post, as there are a lot of "off-topic" posts being
4 > submitted. I believe that the Council would have no problem with this,
5 > as their objectives clearly include snubbing out any form of
6 > non-technical discussion.
7
8 And it begins...
9 In this case there is an insane and inane call to moderate, in the
10 name of making a point that doesn't exist.
11
12 Ulm makes a good response so I don't need to elaborate.
13
14 However, it is indicative of the sort of resentment that applying
15 broad brush(-off) strokes with a technical solution to the essential
16 social problems of keeping flame wars out of a technical discussion
17 group. So what that a blacklist can be fooled by a change of
18 identifier, the real means of controlling a difficult user is to weild
19 a ban hammer lightly, and making sure that other users simply ignore
20 the trolls. The ban hammer may need to be used repeatedly agains some
21 users, but after they cannot get the irritated reactions they crave.
22 (Perhaps by just hiding their attempts and any out-of-band responses,
23 leaving messages only in the archive, but not distrubed to the list --
24 oh yeah, that's not a possibilty unless the first post from a new
25 address gets looked at before sending it out. Hmmm, sounds like a form
26 of robo-moderation that could be set up so that any user who cares can
27 act as a reviewer for the robot.)
28
29 Yes, this is also a technical solution, but one that supports
30 implicitly open communications, rather than erecting a specific
31 qualification to be allowed entry to discussions (i.e. the requirement
32 to get someone already on the list to sponsor the new person.)
33
34 I am in the process of trying to get a hold of the old s.r.u-u robot
35 and polishing it. I just don't know where to talk about it.
38 G.Wolfe Woodbury
39 redwolfe@×××××.com