From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:52:17
1 >>>>> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2
3 > hasufell schrieb:
4 >> I think according to our philsophy and social contract we should
5 >> make people aware of free software and because of that also change
6 >> the default to:
7 >>
8 >> ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
9
10 Thanks for bringing this up. I wanted to suggest this myself soon,
11 but I've still two blockers for it on my to-do list.
12
13 The first blocker is the cleanup of the "as-is" license that is not
14 quite complete. We're down from originally 700 packages to about 100
15 that are either difficult to fix or whose maintainers don't care.
16
17 > The problem with this approach is that while the license might
18 > qualify as "free", the software itself might not. This was already
19 > pointed out by someone else in this thread. So we would block some
20 > but not all non-free software. Software that is under non-copyleft
21 > free license (BSD, MIT, X11, Apache-2.0, ...) could still be
22 > distributed as sourceless binaries.
23
24 This is the second problem. I come back to my earlier suggestion [1]:
25
26 | We could easily solve this by adding a "no-source-code" tag to such
27 | packages. It would be included in the @BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE
28 | license group, but not in @FREE. So such packages would be excluded
29 | for users with ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE".
30