From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:03:32
>> 3. New udev and separate /usr partition (30 minutes) >> >> See [4]: "Decide on whether a separate /usr is still a supported >> configuration. If it is, newer udev can not be stabled and >> alternatives should be investigated. If it isn't, a lot of >> documentation will have to be updated. (And an alternative should >> likely still be provided.)"
> Is it truely that much documentation? The handbook doesn't suggest > separate /usr anymore (all example partitions use a single / file > system), and the necessary changes to setup an initramfs are being > prepared (cfr bugs related to bug #407959).
I've got a somewhat different impression, namely that it's still a long way to go until the documentation will be sufficiently complete. When updating my own systems (separate /usr partition, ext3 or ext4, otherwise nothing special), I wasn't so happy with the status of the documentation for the alternatives that are being discussed: - dracut: I failed to find any documentation in our handbooks. Anyway, dracut looks like overkill for my simple usage case. - genkernel: Easy to use, but it doesn't include e2fsck with the generated initramfs. Am I supposed to mount /usr without running fsck on it first? Once the partition is mounted (even read-only), e2fsck will refuse to run on it (so it also cannot be checked later in the boot sequence). Again, I was unable to find any documentation that would answer these questions. So finally I ended up building my own initramfs, using information from the wiki and from forums.
> We might want to provide an initramfs-guide to explain the concepts > and the various methods for generating one (as well as debugging), > but that too might not be the most difficult thing out there > (there's still time for that, no)?
IMHO this has to be done before >=udev-180 can be stabilised. Ulrich