From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 05:24:54
1 On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 01:02 -0400, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > As one of the people that voted on this GLEP, I like
3 > exactly how it is written, and we voted it in based on how it was
4 > written. Lets follow our own rules and stop debating on this so we can
5 > move on please.
6
7 Part of the GLEP voted on, states that the policy/rule in question is a
8 global one. Of which all global matters of that nature fall under the
9 Council's rule. Per section B. Clearly stated. Thus the current council,
10 could technically do what they felt was best, and it could be
11 retroactive.
12
13 There is nothing in the GLEP stating the council does not have that
14 power. Or that the current council, can't amend that GLEP or act on
15 global issues. Even when facing possible replacement/punishment. There
16 are no restrictions, only punishment. With them as the supreme power
17 deciding upon global issues. Who is to enforce any punishment? When are
18 they stripped of global power?
19
20 So a partial, incomplete GLEP with some harsh punishments was approved.
21 Yet at the same time, not including any provision to strip the council
22 of their recently granted global powers. Like during times of
23 punishment/replacement. All of which was also approved by a past global
24 vote.
25
26 There is no requirement that any decision effecting global issues be
27 taken to the developer base for a vote. So exactly what policy are we
28 following here? Or not? If the current council elects to modify GLEP 39.
31 William L. Thomson Jr.
32 amd64/Java/Trustees
33 Gentoo Foundation