From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:27:46
1 On 2011.08.14 16:43, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 08/14/2011 04:35 PM, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > On 2011.08.14 14:38, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 > >
5 [snip]
6 > I like your idea about the authority team (though this introduces
7 > another layer of bureaucracy). It would be nice to have a team
8 > monitoring all the projects and poking council to take action when
9 > needed. But this team looks like similar to QA doesn't it? What if
10 > this
11 > team is formed by Council members (2-3)? This team will gather
12 > feedback
13 > from the community ( "Hey devs, which teams need urgent attention?"
14 > ),
15 > design solutions and bring them to the Council agenda?
16 >
17 > --
18 > Regards,
19 > Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2
22 I'm not suggesting a new team nor another layer of bureaucracy.
23 In fact nothing changes except the council clearly have the authority
24 to act to fix issues in they way they see fit. I think that is
25 already implied by GLEP39 and being the elected developer body.
26 That's something the council can clarify.
27
28 Projects are required to hold elections for a lead every year. Projects
29 that don't do that need to be poked to see if they are still alive.
30 That can be a part of the councils monitoring process.
31
32 Maybe it can even be automated by checking the last modified dates on
33 project pages. Any projects that have not touched their web pages for
34 a year are worthy of further council attention.
35
36 Generalising your idea further than devrel and QA perhaps some projects
37 need to be monitored more closely than others.
38 However, the data gathering is only useful if it leads to some useful
39 action. I don't see what the council can do if other volunteers are not
40 already doing it, except do it themselves or publicise the problem and
41 ask others to step in.
42
43 Its all very well the council leading Gentoo to be first into the
44 future but they also have a cleaning up role to ensure that Gentoo is
45 not also last out of the past.
46
47 Of course, being council, any or all of this can be delegated as
48 council see fit.
51 Regards,
52
53 Roy Bamford