From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:02:29
1 On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 12:46:20PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 22:28:16 +0100
4 > > Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> - approve/disapprove removal of gen_usr_ldscript
6 > >
7 > > I'm not sure what you meant here, but if that meant 'make it a no-op on
8 > > systems where it makes sense', then fine by me. Otherwise, please keep
9 > > in mind that removing it will also affect g/fbsd where this is still
10 > > needed in order to have a sane / and /usr separation.
11 >
12 > I haven't really seen any discussion of this so I'll chime in.
13 >
14 > Up until now most of the discussion has been about ALLOWING
15 > maintainers to stick boot-required files in /usr at some point in the
16 > future. Changing things like gen_usr_ldscript would actually
17 > represent an active push towards moving these files into /usr. I
18 > think that is a big distinction, and it would cause our Linux vs BSD
19 > approaches to diverge unless we forced BSD to follow along.
20
21 There's no reason to make *bsd do anything. gen_usr_ldscript is already
22 smart enough to not do anything in some environments; I'm just
23 proposing adding linux to that list.
24
25 > I think there is a difference between allowing a few Linux-only
26 > packages to move to /usr to follow upstream and moving towards a full
27 > scale /usr migration on Linux for all packages, even if their
28 > upstreams don't use /usr.
29
30 I'm not talking about migrating *anything* at this point, just how to
31 implement separate /usr support on linux, without affecting what the
32 alternate platforms are doing.
33
34 > I think the more conservative approach is to take things one step at a
35 > time - after some period of time allow things to move to /usr, but
36 > leave it up to maintainer discretion, since they're the ones getting
37 > bugs from linux, BSD, etc.
38
39 Please let's keep this thread on topic. Migrating packages is another
40 separate discussion.
41
42 Thanks,
43