From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] RFC: draft of Nitrokey survey questions re shipping, usage & satisfaction
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 23:39:00
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm trying to put together a survey about the Nitrokey units that the
4 Foundation arranged for devs.
5
6 The rough goals:
7 - measure shipping results [=> quantitative, at least one dev had their shipment returned]
8 - measure usage [=> quantitative, was this a waste?]
9 - measure satisfaction with nitrokey units [=> qualitative]
10
11 I'm planning on using Google Forms for this, because I'm familiar with
12 that as a survey platform.
13
14 I'm not going to spin up an entire survey system just keep it entirely
15 libre. I do plan on publishing the results of the survey, with some
16 parts made anonymous/redacted.
17
18 The form will NOT require sign-in, but there will be a field for
19 entering your developer name.
20
21 I would appreciate both public & private input, both about this as a
22 survey, and meta-input about future surveys to measure success of
23 particular programs.
24
25 Draft questions:
26 ----------------
27
28 Setup:
29 - Dev Username [textfield]
30
31 Shipping:
32 - Did you order a nitrokey unit? boolean
33 - When did you placed the order (optional) Y/M/D
34 - When did you received the order (optional) Y/M/D
35 - How many nitrokey units did you actually receive? [integer]
36 - Did you have to pay any additional charges to receive the unit?
37 - If so, how much did you pay? [numeric]
38 COMMENT: I want to be able to adjust this question to both per-country
39 cost-of-living and socioeconomic level of different developers within
40 a country. See the demographics at the end.
41 - If so, what were the nature of the charges (e.g. customs) [freetext]
42 - Additional: If you did not receive the order, or got more than one,
43 can you summarize what happened? [freetext] Please do not
44 self-identify in the text.
45
46 Usage:
47 - Note: per-developer commit count will be extracted from Git
48 - What percentage of your commits use the on-device key? (0..100% in 25% increments)
49 - Did you use the units for non-commit signing or encryption? [boolean]
50 - If so, how often? [many times a day, daily, weekly, monthly]
51
52 Satisfaction:
53 - What setup tooling documentation did you use: [select-many]
54 - Gentoo wiki
55 - Nitrokey docs
56 - Other doc (freetext)
57 - Figured it out by hacking it
58 - Did you find the setup tooling easy to use? [1-5 scale]
59 - Do you find regular usage of the tooling & unit easy? [1-5 scale]
60 - Does the tooling & unit work consistently? [1-5 scale]
61 - Would you have considered purchasing a Nitrokey if the Foundation did
62 not fund it, and cost was not a problem? [1-5 scale]
63 - If you encountered problems, can you summarize some of them?
64 [freetext] Please do not self-identify in the text
65 - What do you feel could have been done better?
66 [freetext] Please do not self-identify in the text
67
68 Demographics, all optional:
69 - Where are you located: [textfield, ISO country code]
70 - Age bracket [0-17, 18-25, 25-35, 35-45, 45-55, 55-65, 65+]
71 - For your country, what is your household income level, relative to the
72 median income? [select-one]
73 - Decline to answer
74 - Significantly below [<=50% below]
75 - Below [20-50% below]
76 - About the same [20% either side of median]
77 - Above [20-50% above]
78 - Significantly above [>=50% above]
79 COMMENT: This is specifically to identify need where developers
80 would have trouble purchasing hardware. The complex wording of the
81 question is meant to improve anonymity while identifying socioeconomic
82 need.
85 Robin Hugh Johnson
86 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
87 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
88 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
89 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136