From: "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2015 / 2016 election
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 06:13:25
1 On 28/06/15 20:15, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > BTW, if any candidate wishes to present a manifesto, don't forget to reply to
3 > the election thread so that we can pick it up and add it to the election page.
4
5 Hi all,
6
7 here is my manifesto;
8
9 I started with Gentoo around 2008. In the beginning my focus was mainly on the
10 Science side, but since then I did packaging and contributions to many herds and
11 projects. In the recent years I started to look more into other areas like the
12 project management and joined the recruiter team.
13 Currently I am leading the science and recruiters project.
14
15 So, what do I stand for in the council?
16
17 I have seen the number of developers and contributors to Gentoo declining over
18 the years.
19 That's why I think it is most essential to create an environment where we can
20 attract contributors and make them happy to stay. I will always opt for the most
21 productive solution and encourage fair and respectful cooperation.
22
23 There are two groups of people, that I would like to give special attention to,
24 the new and inexperienced ones, and our power-developers.
25 We need to create a supportive and positive environment for both.
26
27 The initial contributors as well as new and inexperienced developers need
28 support and mentoring in order to further develop their skills but also to make
29 them stay and keep them productive. It's not about RTFM, but to really take care
30 of them and show appreciation to their contributions. We have quite some great
31 projects which are working towards this goal, namely: the proxy-maint, the
32 gentoo-rsync2git PRs, (sunrise) or the many mentors among us.
33
34 I would like to see this to be more closely combined under common roof to bundle
35 the effort and help making the step to become a developer more attractive.
36
37 On the other hand it is very important to listen to the needs of our power
38 contributors and to provide the requested resources. If they don't receive this,
39 they will start looking for alternatives and we lose them. So we must aim for
40 practical and quick solutions rather than bikeshed until they give up.
41
42 We cannot afford to lose anyone!
43
44 Along these ideas I will make my decisions and put effort into the project.
45
46 Justin
47
48 P.s.
49 I will give my full support as a member of the council to infra so that the git
50 migration may happen this year. We will help to overcome all non-technical
51 issues so that it's only a matter of setting it up.