From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 21:06:38
1 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> napisa=C5=82(a):
3 >
4 >> Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> > What I'd like to see for the handbook is basically it being turned
7 >> > into a choose-your-own-adventure book, with an index and a "view all
8 >> > options"-type of presentation.
9 >>
10 >> This has two major obstacles:
11 >>
12 >> 1. Users should be able to get a complete copy (also a printed copy)
13 >> with *full* installation instructions for some setup.
14 >> In fact, users might not have (easy) access to the internet before
15 >> the installation process is completed.
16 >>
17 >> 2. If you have many alternatives, all of these alternatives
18 >> must be maintained very regularly. Currently, the handbook
19 >> has already troubles in keeping up-to-date with *one* option.
20 >
21 > So, say, should we switch the handbook to systemd if systemd people are
22 > going to have less trouble updating it? :P
23
24 I cannot see any relation between your remark and what I wrote.
25 Essentially, I think it is best to leave the handbook as it is now:
26 Have *one* reasonable alternative carried out and refer to others
27 to Wiki or some other source.
28 Of course, eventually some outdated alternative might be replaced
29 by something else, but which variant to use of what is a completely
30 independent discussion: It should essentially be made by the
31 authors of the handbook since they have to maintain it.
32 I do not suppose that openrc is going from the handbook soon
33 (and I would not suggest such a change): It already *is*
34 described well in the handbook and certainly simpler to maintain
35 than a systemd description which would change all of the time
36 and would need a huge troubleshooting section.
37 (BTW, isn't the handbook essentially the only existing openrc
38 documentation anyway?)