From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, council@g.o, dilfridge <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 06:12:42
1 Dnia 8 kwietnia 2018 22:43:03 CEST, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >On Sun, Apr 8, 2018, at 15:27 CDT, Matthew Thode
3 ><prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> =======
6 >> If you have any additions you wish to make, please submit it to the
7 >> gentoo-nfp list at least 48 hours before the meeting is to take
8 >place.
11 >We request the Board of Trustees to make the following motion part of
12 >their next meeting agenda, we will ask for a formal vote by council at
13 >the next council meeting:
16 >We request that the Gentoo Council and the Board of Trustees of the
17 >Gentoo
18 >Foundation affirm Gentoo's metastructure GLEP 39 as the governing
19 >principle
20 >of the Gentoo Linux developer community. In particular, both
21 >acknowledge
22 > the split between
23 >- the Gentoo Council, which is responsible for the Gentoo Linux
24 >developer
25 > community, its user base and all technical decisions,
26 > - and the Gentoo Foundation, whose role is to hold Gentoo's assets
27 >(such as trademarks and server infrastructure) and support the
28 >developer
29 > and user community.
30
31 I would go even further and finally cease the completely independent proceedings of the Foundation. Its purpose is to serve the developers, and developers choose their lead in the Council (with new election, ofc).
32
33 Most notably, I'd say that all major decisions, including financial and legal matters, should go through Council. Trustees should merely be a 'legal gateway' that confirms or rejects decisions based on the legal implications but doesn't make independent decisions.
34
35 This would finally end debates over who is responsible for which area of Gentoo, concerns of 'two headed beast', concerns of Trustees making decisions without awareness of events inside Gentoo (dev status reform, anyone?) and risks of Trustees using their control e.g. over resources to pursue their own goals.
36
37 The current model is suboptimal e.g. when infra requests funding from Trustees without actually consulting the goals with Gentoo representatives.
41 >Best,
42 >Matthias and Andreas
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny (by phone)