From: Allen Brooker <gmane@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Improving developer/user communication
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:02:52
1 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Well, i'm not sure if this list is working because I have not yet
3 > recieved any emails from it but...
4 >
5 > What ideas do people have for improving relations?
6
7 (Resend, apologies if this appears twice)
8
9 What about making more use of the announce list? At the moment it's only
10 ever used for GLSA's, which from talking to a few people at Gentoo UK
11 and on IRC, most seem to use the utilities for anyway.
12
13 Could we create a very-low-traffic, developer-posts-only list that is
14 used for announcing important package changes? The list could also be
15 used for other announcements (not sure exactly what - events where
16 Gentoo devs will be, regional meets, other things). If people feel that
17 using the same list for other announcements too would create too much
18 traffic, consider creating multiple lists, which would allow people to
19 subscribe to only the types of messages that they want to see.
20
21 These lists could be heavily advertised on the forums and in the Gentoo
22 Handbook.
23
24 To remark on this "we'll only get atypical users responding so we
25 shouldn't ask at all" view, that's just silly. In my view, open source
26 is about community, and if people don't speak up then that's just their
27 choice. Why should everyone suffer just because some people don't want
28 to interact?
29
30 Surely developers can weigh up the feedback they get and decide for
31 themselves what might be atypical and what might be useful? And I think
32 that if you do it right, word will spread and more people will respond
33 over time. Sure, you'll never get everyone, but that's life.
34
35 Have you considered that many users may currently believe that there
36 aren't any ways they can communicate with developers generally? Or even
37 if they do know about IRC and mailing lists, believe that the developers
38 don't want to hear what they have to say?
39
40 On that note, an idea to get more users involved: What about scheduled
41 developer chats with specific projects where users can openly ask
42 questions and developers can perhaps give updates on what they've been
43 up to recently? They don't have to be particularly frequent - once a
44 month rotating round different projects or something.
45
46 Another idea could be to create a specific "developer Q&A" forum where
47 developers can pose questions to the users and perhaps vice-versa too
48 (some sort of moderation system for questions from users might be
49 required, and yes it would require work, but doesn't anything that
50 involves interacting with users?)
51
52 AllenJB
55 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list