From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for resources to run 'repositories mirror & QA' project
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:39:04
1 * Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> [150417 05:12]:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > I'd like to start a new Gentoo-related project and I'm looking for
5 > someone that would be interested in providing the hardware for it.
6 >
7 > The project would specifically involve:
8 >
9 > 1. cloning/checking out all official and unofficial Gentoo repositories
10 > (from the repositories.xml list used by layman), and periodically
11 > updating them,
12 >
13 > 2. generating md5-cache for all repositories,
14 >
15 > 3. running pcheck on all repositories,
16 >
17 > 4. providing git (+rsync? +squashdelta?) mirror for all repositories
18 > (with generated md5-cache).
19 >
20 > Eventually I'd like to try to off-load the mirroring somewhere
21 > (github?), so that's a minor concern. However, the cloning (even with
22 > --depth 1) is going to be network and disk space hungry, and egencache
23 > & pcheck will need a lot of CPU power.
24 >
25 > For a test, best try running pcheck on gentoo-x86 and see how long it
26 > takes. We'd be parallelizing it but more than, say, 40 minutes for
27 > the whole repository would be bad.
28 >
29 > Aside from that, I'd like SSH access to set it all up (I'm limited on
30 > time, so no game-fun proxy setup). I don't need root access if someone
31 > can install all the necessary dependencies for me. Gentoo is preferred
32 > but not necessary (I already have the setup needed to run pcheck
33 > outside Gentoo).
34 >
35 > Plus preferably 'systemd --user' instance or some fun cron.
36 >
37 > Anyone interested?
38 >
39 > --
40 > Best regards,
41 > Michał Górny
42
43 Hi,
44
45 I have a lightly used server with 16 "processors" (Intel Xeon E5630 @
46 2.53GHz,) 3.9TB of free disk space (though I can probably increase
47 that,) and 48GB of memory.
48
49 Depending upon actual bandwidth requirements that may be an issue, but
50 we can try it to see.
51
52 I can give you SSH access and can get whatever you need set up.
53
54 It's Gentoo openrc but if that's a problem I can move it to systemd.
55
56 Please send email to this address or tacoman656@×××××.com.
57
58 Regards,