From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2008/2009
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:46:24
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 2008.06.05 01:00, ?ukasz Damentko wrote:
7 >> Hi guys,
8 >>
9 >> Nominations for the Gentoo Council 2008/2009 are open now and will be
10 >> open for the next two weeks (until 23:59 UTC, 18/06/2008).
11 >
12 > Team,
13 >
14 > I don't want to nominate anyone who hasn't been nominated already.
15 > I would like to address all the candidates who have or will accept
16 > council nominations.
17 >
18 > 1. Please tell us how/if you plan to fix GLEP 39. (You may not consider
19 > it broken)
20
21 a) A GLEP 39 is a "proposal" to do/implement something and should not be
22 used as a way to finally document something. So, if we want to fix it, we
23 should write down a new GLEP replacing GLEP 39 and then write that
24 information down where it belongs to: in proj/en/council (and/or the
25 developer handbook)
26
27 b) Reading GLEP 1 you'll see that there are only two types of
28 GLEPs: "Standards Track" and "Informational". One is for technical stuff
29 and the other for organizational, but: "Informational GLEPs do not
30 necessarily represent a Gentoo Linux community
31 consensus or recommendation, so users and implementors are free to ignore
32 Informational GLEPs or follow their advice."
33
34 So we either have to stop using GLEPs for such kind of "rules/definitions"
35 OR redefine how GLEPs should be used properly for changing organizational
36 processes.
37
38 We should finally stop doing cosmetic changes or we will forever struggle
39 with outside people who know our rules better than we and as a result waste
40 our time and energy and block our processes.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Tiziano
47 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list