From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] glep-0076: add clarification about the sign-off requirements
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 06:28:57
1 On 28.7.2021 20.30, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > When we accept a git commit, many judgments must be made. Some
5 > judgements are automated (and we can reject commits that do not pass
6 > these judgments). Some of them are not automatable, and we rely on
7 > committers to make that judgement with their mind. Not all committers
8 > will judge things the same way and that is OK; it's a risk they take on
9 > (as a committer) and that the organization takes on (as, in the case
10 > above, we may need to audit contributions from time to time.) I'm not
11 > certain it's a sane argument to simply say "well this judgement is not
12 > automatable so we shouldn't have that judgement at all."
13 >
14 > The judgements are the value you bring (as a human committer.) If I
15 > could automate your work then I would; then I wouldn't need committers
16 > anymore. However I do not think this is possible in practice. This is my
17 > point relating to the rules above. If there were a set of codified rules
18 > I could program a computer to do them (make them automated judgements.)
19 > I'm suggesting this is not the case and again you as a committer need to
20 > exercise your own judgement when accepting a commit. There is still the
21 > distinction of "how do I as a committer make good judgements" and it's
22 > clear we are struggling in this area.
25 Very vaguely, should a clarification / example be written, where for
26 example eclass code and newly introduced complex ebuild code *might*
27 require an acknowledged sign-off from the contributor? While simple
28 version bumps, EAPI-bumps with given new eclass functions don't?
29
30 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature