From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Setting a consistent vocabulary for ebuild-related stuff
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:46:26
1 On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 15:28:06 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello, developers.
5 >
6 > Since Gentoo is quite an aging technical community, a lot of wording
7 > has accumulated to describe various ebuild-related aspects, some of it
8 > rather confusing and/or outdated. Therefore, I would like to suggest
9 > that we establish some 'proper' vocabulary for use in official
10 > documentation, and deprecate some of the outdated concepts.
11 >
12 > This is meant to serve two goals particularly:
13 >
14 > 1. Reduce user/developer confusion. In particular, the long-time
15 > confusing two uses of 'Portage', but also working towards vocabulary
16 > consistent with other tools and distributions.
17 >
18 > 2. Put more emphasis on flexibility of Gentoo -- which I believe
19 > should be advertised as its major advantage.
22 > Now what I suggest:
23 >
24 > A. Portage vs the package manager
25 > ---------------------------------
26 >
27 > I don't know many distributions that officially support more than one
28 > distinct package manager. Even some of the Gentoo derivatives (e.g.
29 > Funtoo) don't do that. As I see it, we should be proud of that.
30 >
31 > For this reason, the official docs should treat Portage
32 > as the reference package manager rather than the only package manager.
33 > That is:
34 >
35 > - use 'the package manager' whenever the relevant action or
36 > information can be applied to any Gentoo package manager conforming
37 > to the PMS,
38 >
39 > - use 'Portage' whenever the relevant information applies purely to
40 > Portage the package manager.
43 > B. Ebuild vs package
44 > --------------------
45 >
46 > 'Ebuild' is the script. If you say 'install an ebuild', that ends up
47 > a bit confusing. Also note that a binary package is not an 'ebuild',
48 > yet it is roughly equivalent to one. So:
49 >
50 > - use 'ebuild' when referring directly to the .ebuild file,
51 >
52 > - use 'package' whenever referring to the generic magic thing that
53 > results of combining ebuild with eclasses, profiles and other stuff.
54 >
55 > So: 'send me the ebuild' but 'install the package'.
58 > C. Repository vs tree vs overlay vs Portage...
59 > ----------------------------------------------
60 >
61 > This one is harsh since it has a lot of historic context. Long story
62 > short, none of the Gentoo package managers work in pure 'overlay'
63 > logic anymore, so best to stop using that term. Also, better to leave
64 > 'trees' to the forests.
65 >
66 > And finally, Portage is the package manager and let's leave it at
67 > that. No need to cause users to confuse developers even further.
68 >
69 > Therefore:
70 >
71 > - Don't use 'Portage', 'tree', 'overlay' or any other thing. Just call
72 > it a 'repository' (or 'ebuild repository', if you want to be more
73 > specific and distinguish it from 'binary package repository').
74 >
75 > - When referring to the main Gentoo repository, call it the 'Gentoo
76 > repository'. That's how it is named these days (read repo_name!),
77 > and that's the least confusing name you can use.
78 >
79 > - When referring to other repositories, you can call them 'third-party
80 > repositories' or alike. No point in calling them 'overlays' since
81 > they are not laid over anything anymore.
82 >
83 > This is a great step towards decentralization and a good emphasis on
84 > the fact that Gentoo is flexible and can work with many different
85 > repositories.
88 > Your thoughts?
91 Works for me :)
94 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>