From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for candidates for Gentoo Council 2013/2014
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 11:33:11
1 On 07/03/2013 01:42 AM, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 08:46:01 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 07/01/2013 02:54 PM, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
6 >
7 >> > 02. Will you vote for moving system packages (gcc, glibc etc.) to
8 >> EAPI >=3?
9 >> >
10 >> > 03. Will you vote for moving system packages (gcc, glibc etc.) to
11 >> EAPI >=4?
12 >> >
13 >> > 04. Will you vote for moving system packages (gcc, glibc etc.) to
14 >> EAPI >=5?
15 >> >
16 >> > 05. Will you vote for deprecation of EAPI 0 in gentoo-x86?
17 >>
18 >> Currently there is a lot of code written in EAPI 0 for the toolchain and
19 >> this code "just works". Besides being able to build stock systems, it
20 >> is cable of handling cross compiling, multlilib systems, toolchain
21 >> hardening, and alternative libc. A lot of utilities are built on that
22 >> codebase too, like crossdev. It is hard to argue a rewrite here for
23 >> something that is not broken.
24 >>
25 >> I would not vote at this time for the deprecation of EPI 0. I could be
26 >> persuaded otherwise by the toolchain herd with a plan. I could also be
27 >> persuaded if there were some really pressing issues that argue "yes it
28 >> works now, but soon will hit a brick wall". These would mitigate
29 >> against a hard "no".
30 >
31 > Paweł was nice enough to write a patch for us to get toolchain.eclass up to EAPI
32 > 5. I believe it still needs some pieces like prefix support and I haven't
33 > reviewed it in depth but it looks good so far (and much simpler than I thought
34 > (oops)). I'm planning on moving up an EAPI at a time, bumping it whenever we
35 > could use new features or people start hucking fruit.
39 Nice! I'm impressed.
42 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
43 Chair of Information Technology
44 D'Youville College