From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 01:26:10
1 On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 5:52 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > My personal opinion is we should have a default accepting FSF and OSI
7 > > approved free/libre licenses and require acceptance for anything else
8 > > though package.license / ACCEPT_LICENSE.
9 >
10 > From a practical standpoint is this going to block anything used on
11 > our stage3s or boot CDs needed for hardware support, such as firmware
12 > blobs/etc? I imagine most packages like this would not have
13 > FSF/OSI-approved licenses. That includes linux-firmware.
16 I think the stage3 is already pretty minimal anyway, I'd be curious about
17 what it would lose if we did this.
21 > I'm not sure if those are installed by default or how essential they
22 > are to actually boot/use any common hardware.
25 I want to avoid having a singular product here. I think ::gentoo is the
26 repo that is the metadistribution and we can basically have defaults there.
27 Consumers of ::gentoo are expected to tweak it. I think this is different
28 than say, a liveDVD image. The latter we don't expect users to tweak before
29 using and we should be trying to support normal use cases. If we need to
30 use non-free firmware to do it, I expect us to do that so that users who
31 boot the media actually get a working Gentoo install.
32
33 So I don't buy an argument that "Gentoo" as a whole has to do a particular
34 thing. I expect this discussion is actually more about "the Gentoo repo"
35 than about any particular shipped media. Maybe I'm misunderstanding things
36 though.
40 > Aside from this, Gentoo has always been more about pragmatism when it
41 > comes to licensing. We certainly make it easy to restrict licenses
42 > and have a pure-free system, but I'm not sure how painful it would be
43 > for users to have this be a default.
44 >
45 > In particular how likely is this to cause users to end up doing a
46 > substantial rebuild 5 minutes after booting their stage3 just to get
47 > the system back to a more "practical" state? Granted, bindist
48 > probably already causes these sorts of issues but we have no choice
49 > there.
52 I take the Bezos approach here. There are 2 types of decisions: reversible
53 and irreversible. This is a reversible decision pretty much, so its low
54 risk. If we change the default and the world starts to hate us, we can just
55 change it back.
56
57 -A
61 > --