From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Question about a installer for Gentoo.
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:02:56
1 On 10/14/2010 09:05 AM, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
2 > Since most of the install process is already automated by emerge. Most
3 > of work left to the user is indeed configuration of the system
4 > (make.conf, conf.d & friends).
5 >
6 > So I would instead focus on a CLI util to help quickly generate (up to
7 > date) configuration files for make.conf and conf.d files. - that is what
8 > takes most of the time..
9
10 I sort-of agree. I think another goal should be to push all
11 interactivity closer to the start of the process.
12
13 For example, ideally you should be able to configure everything before
14 running a single emerge. That creates the problem that the
15 configuration files are downloaded by emerge (How do you configure grub
16 before you install it? Ditto for the kernel?).
17
18 In an ideal world, the user might spend some time configuring the box
19 (perhaps before even booting it off of the CD with some kind of
20 kickstart mechanism), then they'd start emerge or some script and it
21 would install everything they need such that they just need to reboot.
22
23 Right now you install something, then configure it, then install
24 something else, then configure that. That leads to lots of "wait 15
25 minutes to several hours for build time" steps.
26
27 If you could configure network, kernel, grub, etc, and then get a list
28 of packages to emerge (like dhcpcd, gentoo-sources, grub, etc), then
29 users could walk away and come back to a rebooted and running system.
30
31 Rich