From: Anna Vyalkova <cyber+gentoo@×××××.in>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Taking the signoff bait (was: Gentoo Council 2022-23: Questions for Candidates: how to increase contributions)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 02:24:26
1 On 2022-06-18 19:35, Michael Jones wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 12:55 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Sat, 2022-06-18 at 00:14 +0100, Sam James wrote:
5 > > > People do tend to get frustrated with time taken to merge PRs. We do
6 > > > alright or pretty well most of the time (depending on circumstances)
7 > > > but only a handful of us merge PRs at all en-masse.
8 > > >
9 > > > We need more people to be comfortable merging PRs - CI
10 > > > to verify patches apply, a simple default USE flags build works
11 > > > would go a long way here.
12 > >
13 > > This also means we need more developers putting Gentoo ahead of their
14 > > personal prejudices and accepting PRs on GitHub. It's not nice at all
15 > > if users submit something just to have it rejected because someone
16 > > prefers another workflow.
17 > >
18 > > --
19 > > Best regards,
20 > > Michał Górny
25 > Re-evaluating your "signed off by" requirements on github, when that's
26 > legally meaningless, and already covered by the existing github terms of
27 > use, would also go a long way.
28 >
29 > I explicitly will not contribute to a project that has that requirement.
30 >
31 > https://docs.github.com/en/site-policy/github-terms/github-terms-of-service#d-user-generated-content
32
33 1) We can't see if a commit comes from GitHub or somewhere else in the
34 git history. This not only makes verification but also breaks
35 verification tools (commit without signoff are rejected by gitolite's
36 pre-push hook, github is just a mirror).
37
38 2) Gentoo has plans to move to their own GitLab instance. So binding
39 themselves to GitHub ToS (that can be changes at any time and controlled
40 by Miscro$oft) is stupid.
41
42 3) Commit author != GitHub user.
43
44 4) **Most important point!** These ToS apply only to content hosted on
45 GitHub! And you retain ownership only on github PRs, not the canonical
46 repo.
47
48 * the only thing I dislike and sabotage in Gentoo's signoff policy is
49 that uses "legal name" instead of "real name" - change that already...