From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:04:34
1 On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 7:52 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > >>>>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 > > Some argue that this is enabling proprietary software, but even if so
6 > > we're not breaking any promises.
7 >
8 > Any proprietary distfiles referred to by ebuilds are irrelevant for this
9 > discussion. We don't host that code on github.
12 You missed my point.
13
14 We aren't hosting any proprietary software on github if we use github
15 to store our FOSS repositories either.
16
17 My point is that we support the use of proprietary software by
18 providing 100% FOSS ebuilds in our official repositories that assist
19 users in installing proprietary software. Some purists object to
20 this. IMO this is a similar basis for objection as the objection to
21 using github because of copilot.
22
23 From a principle matter I can see why some object, just as some object
24 to having a FOSS ebuild in our repo for installing a non-FOSS software
25 application.
26
27 However, from a practical standpoint, I think the absence of an ebuild
28 or an inability to submit work on github are more likely to result in
29 people avoiding using Gentoo than people avoiding the use of github or
30 their proprietary software.
31
32 So this is a pragmatics vs principles question. And of course letting
33 people decide for themselves is also a principle.
36 Rich