From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: licenses@g.o, Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:08:44
1 On 20:31 Thu 25 Jul , hasufell wrote:
2 > Gentoo has a social contract [1] which makes a lot of noise about free
3 > software. However our default settings allow to use almost any kind of
4 > non-free license such as "all-rights-reserved".
5 >
6 > While I see nothing wrong with gentoo providing proprietary stuff (and
7 > I have created a lot of such games ebuilds), I think according to our
8 > philsophy and social contract we should make people aware of free
9 > software and because of that also change the default to:
10 >
11 > ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
12 >
13 > This is only about the _default_. We will have to change the handbook
14 > at "1.d. Licenses" [2] and might also make a news item.
15
16 Gentoo has been and should remain a pragmatic distribution rather than
17 promoting a specific licensing philosophy to our users. We've always
18 focused on providing *reasonable* rather than *restrictive* or *minimal*
19 defaults, in the interest of keeping the barrier to entry lower and
20 lessening the effort required to set up a functional Gentoo
21 installation.
22
23 I don't see any conflict between requiring that our system packages be
24 free software and providing the pragmatic experience that we also
25 promise to our users in our philosophy:
26
27 "Put another way, the Gentoo philosophy is to create better tools. When a
28 tool is doing its job perfectly, you might not even be very aware of its
29 presence, because it does not interfere and make its presence known, nor
30 does it force you to interact with it when you don't want it to. The
31 tool serves the user rather than the user serving the tool."
34 Thanks,
35 Donnie
36
37 Donnie Berkholz