From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items, council meeting Mar 12
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 17:37:01
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2017, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 >> the Gentoo council will meet again on March 12 at 19:00 utc in the
5 >> #gentoo-council channel on freenode.
6 >> Please respond to this message with any items you would like us to
7 >> add to the agenda to vote on or discuss.
8 >
9 > In the 2014-10-14 meeting, there was the following decision under the
10 > "Git Migration Issues" topic:
11 >
12 > Can we drop CVS headers post-migration?
13 >
14 > Aye: blueness, creffett (proxy for ulm), dberkholz, dilfridge,
15 > radhermit, rich0, williamh
16 >
17 > This was again briefly discussed in the 2016-04-10 meeting (following
18 > a discussion in the gentoo-dev mailing list) and in the 2016-11-13
19 > meeting (with respect to a repoman check for the ebuild header).
20 >
21 > Since there appear to be doubts how to interpret above mentioned
22 > decision, I would like to ask the Council to clarify the following
23 > points:
24 >
25 > a) Are $Id$ and $Header$ lines to be removed in the gentoo repository?
26 >
27 > b) Does this only apply to ebuilds and eclasses, or also to other
28 > files in the tree, e.g., metadata, profiles, and files in FILESDIR
29 > other than patches (like init scripts)?
30 >
31 > c) Should these lines be removed in one go, or should we enable a
32 > repoman check and have them fade out over time?
33 >
34 > d) Should git expansion of $Id$ be enabled (i.e., ident in git
35 > attributes)?
36
37 If $Id$ is to be kept, I think point "d" needs further clarification:
38 in what contexts should ident expansion be enabled?
39
40 At rsync generation time?
41
42 In the development repo? (via .gitattributes).
43
44 Enabling expansion in some places but not others may cause some issues
45 that would necessitate further work to prevent "$Id: xxxxxxx $"
46 strings from being committed in the development repo accidentally.
47 This might mean a repoman check and/or a git hook.
48
49 I would highly suggest the council familiarize themselves with the git
50 ident attribute from the gitattributes man page before making any
51 decision here.