From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] s/udev/mdev, how to proceed?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:28:51
1 On 12/04/2011 07:50 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > First of all, apologies if I'm misusing this list. But I -- well, some
3 > Gentoo users, actually -- would really like to replace udev with mdev.
4 >
5 > We're currently fixing the complete procedure to do that, and when all
6 > show-stopping bugs have been ironed out, would like mdev to be an option
7 > for those who no longer want to be held hostage by the whims of udev
8 > upstream.
9 >
10 > We'd very much appreciate any guidance on how to proceed, like who to
11 > contact, what to submit, etc.
12
13 It sounds like you're going about it in the right way.
14
15 I'm guessing you are going to run into issues with desktop-y packages.
16 If you can provide sane fixes or workarounds for these issues, please
17 file bugs with patches.
18
19 Basically, as long as your changes don't break anything and aren't
20 horribly ugly, I don't think you'll have too much trouble convincing
21 package maintainers to apply them.
22
23 You may have a harder time convincing the docs team to put it in
24 official documentation (like the handbook). I would suggest using the
25 new wiki[1] to write a how-to or something.
26
27 [1] http://wiki.gentoo.org