From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Microsoft buys GitHub
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 17:33:57
1 On Monday, June 4, 2018, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, at 11:25 CDT, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> For anyone interested, here is a fairly comprehensive comparison of
6 >> self hosting options: https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/comparison/
7 >>
8 >> It is likely gitea is the best.
9 >>
10 >> Cheers,
11 >> R0b0t1
14 > On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, at 09:56 CDT, Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
15 >
16 >> In case the need arise, I'm offering to host a 3rd party git
17 >> infrastructure, storage and cpu power are available, what it's needed is
18 >> an in depth analysis of how it should be built.
19 >>
20 >> To avoid adding load to infra jobs this should be a totally external
21 >> project, this also mean there will be no real benefit comparing it to
22 >> current github usage, i.e. all the "pull requests" will need to be
23 >> managed by gentoo developers which will have some kind of access to the
24 >> server.
25 >>
26 >> Let me know if there is interest
27 >>
28 >> Francesco Riosa
31 > To answer your two e-mails:
34 > We host our critical development infrastructure (including gitolite,
35 > master mirror, etc.) exclusively on our own servers under our control.
36 >
37 > The mirror we provide on github is merely a convenience tool - we do
38 > this because we want to enable github users an easy path for sharing
39 > contributions (i.e. pull requests). The point here is that we chose
40 > github because of its 30 million users (and the fact that nearly
41 > everyone who potentially contributes already has a github account).
42 >
43 > Talking about alternatives is completely missing the mark.
46 I am aware that the GitHub repositories are mirrors. The reason their
47 maintenance is tolerated (I assume) is because they provide a web
48 interface for contributors. The skin over Git is why the 30 million
49 users are there in the first place.
50
51 There is also e.g. GitLab if the use of preexisting accounts is
52 desirable, but it seems the bigger benefit would be issue tracking and
53 the online PR interface. Those are obtainable with any number of
54 systems in a format similar to GitHub.