From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 02:18:37
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 13/11/16 01:54, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 >> On 11/13/2016 02:53 AM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> With respect, Kristian, I really don't believe we have a problem with
6 >>>>> technical matters ... ;]
7 >>>>>
8 >>>> The description above is a normative description of how things works in
9 >>>> the general case, which doesn't involve comrel. The latter is only
10 >>>> involved when the usual dispute resolution is not applicable due to
11 >>>> personnel making technical issues personal.
12 >>>>
13 >>> Ok so for the sake of clarity, we have a purely technical issue, which
14 >>> is either right or wrong .. and then someone takes it as a personal
15 >>> affront, instead of being mature and professional, and accepting the
16 >>> correction, learning the lesson, to put into practise in future. So
17 >>> instead of the issue being purely technical .. said person MAKES it
18 >>> personal .. and therefore themselves causes a conflict .. which requires
19 >>> some form of Discipline .. which breeds hate .. and ...
20 >>>
21 >>> .. you see where I'm going .. ?!
22 >>>
23 >> At which point ComRel is the applicable body
24 >>
25 > And this is where I think we are all going wrong ........ it should
26 > indeed never *ever* reach that point. Are we not all agreed on that
27 > point maybe???
30 Sure. Honestly, very few issues should ever reach the Council, and
31 certainly not Comrel.
32
33 But, they do, and they end up having to be dealt with.
34
35 If everybody behaves the way they ought to then they'll resolve issues
36 on their own.
37
38 And it is much better to escalate an issue and get it dealt with than
39 just fight WW3 over it at the ground level. That doesn't mean that
40 you escalate it before you try to deal with it. It means that you
41 escalate it when it is apparent that you're not getting anywhere.
44 Rich