From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:39:44
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:00 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > 2. Make gentoo more decentralized and reduce the number of core-devs to
3 > allow conflicting ideas which is one of the main points of GLEP 39, IMO.
4 > But now make this idea actually possible on the technical and
5 > methodology level.
6
7 You've talked about the first sentence in this suggestion before, but
8 not really about the second. Just what does making this possible from
9 a technical level look like, other than how things work today? How
10 can we have both games.eclass and no games.eclass but due to a
11 technical/methodology change there are now less problems? Ditto for
12 the two multilib implementations?
13
14 It seems to me that your #2 and #1 are really the same thing - having
15 fewer core devs actually eliminates conflicting ideas and increases
16 focus, simply by virtue of the fact that there are fewer people left
17 to disagree. It is nice to speak of having your cake and eating it
18 too, but saying it doesn't make it happen, and I don't want a
19 bait-and-switch where we sell everybody on a concept but then say,
20 "well, there was no way this was ever going to work out like we talked
21 about..."
22
23 My main concern with this approach is that it seems reasonably likely
24 to just result in having zero devs. When I've seen big shakeups in
25 other organizations with the goal of revitalizing things the result is
26 often that the organization just disbands. The chances of a new
27 person becoming committed tends to be low, while the chance of an
28 existing contributor remaining committed is much higher. Anytime you
29 shake things up you tend to have far more to lose than to gain as a
30 result.
31
32 I think that a major shakeup only makes sense if we can actually
33 demonstrate a new model in operation, and it actually solves our
34 problems.
37 Rich