From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: dilfridge@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] William Hubbs council manifesto 2018-2019
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 23:29:57
1 On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 12:06:33AM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Hi William,
3 >
4 > > I believe the council and trustees should be working as a team to lead
5 > > Gentoo. We serve different functions, so there is room for both groups.
6 > > We have been adversarial lately and I don't think this is good. As a
7 > > council member, I will work to improve this situation.
8 >
9 > We (tamiko & me) asked the trustees formally to agree to the separation of
10 > functions precisely as it has been handled over the past ~10 years.
11 > They didn't agree to that.
12 >
13 > How would you like to see the separation of functions then?
14
15 The separation is pretty straight forward.
16
17 - the council handles global technical issues and appeals from comrel/qa.
18 - the trustees/foundation handle the business side (running the nfp that
19 backs us).
20
21 I read the proposal by prometheanfire a year ago also and do not quite
22 see why it was so offensive to some. The way I read it it was
23 basically making the council a committee in the foundation. The
24 council would have still been elected by the developers, and it wasn't
25 set up so the Trustees could remove people etc, so there wasn't really
26 a way the trustees could control it any more than they control the
27 council as it is. If I missed something, tell me.
28
29 Regarding comrel, given that more than one person who has been removed
30 from Gentoo has threatened the foundation with law suits, I can
31 understand the trustees wanting to be in that loop.
32
33 William