From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Allen Brooker <gmane@××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Improving developer/user communication
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:42:46
1 On 7/21/07, Allen Brooker <gmane@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Allen Brooker wrote:
3 > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > >> Allen Brooker wrote:
5 > >>> Could we create a very-low-traffic, developer-posts-only list that is
6 > >>> used for announcing important package changes? The list could also be
7 > >>> used for other announcements (not sure exactly what - events where
8 > >>> Gentoo devs will be, regional meets, other things). If people feel that
9 > >>> using the same list for other announcements too would create too much
10 > >>> traffic, consider creating multiple lists, which would allow people to
11 > >>> subscribe to only the types of messages that they want to see.
12 > >> Just made it at the same time as this one: gentoo-dev-announce. We're
13 > >> still working out the policy.
14 > >>
15 > >> Thanks,
16 > >> Donnie
17 > >>
18 > > According to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml (and my impression
19 > > from the name) that list appears to be for developer-targeted announcements.
20 > >
21 > > What I was thinking was something along the lines of some of the
22 > > post-install messages (not all of them, just the important ones that
23 > > might actually (appear to) break things - eg. glibc upgrade - "you can't
24 > > downgrade"; gcc upgrade - "follow the guide here; coreutils upgrade -
25 > > "some locations have changed - run 'hash -r' to clear the cache"; etc.)
26 > > and other user-targeted messages to be sent to a list.
27 > >
28 > > Allen
29 > >
30 > I've also just been reminded about GLEP 42 [1] - What's the current
31 > status and what are the hold-ups, if any? How can they be overcome?
32
33 Afaik there is current no news reader for portage; but there is one
34 for paludis (eselect-news or something)
35
36 We have been syncing news items to you since spring, but no one has
37 used the functionality yet.
40 > Allen
41 >
42 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml