From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2012-04-03
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:03:20
El mar, 20-03-2012 a las 13:34 +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
> Pacho Ramos schrieb: > > I would like to see this suggestion discussed if possible: > > About making herds.xml addition mandatory for devs when adding to mail > > alias > > > > Currently, looks like there are developers that add them to mail aliases > > for "zombie" herds (herds that are empty and unmaintained usually) but > > don't want to add them to herds.xml because they prefer to not be > > considered as officially being part of that hers. > > If you mandate that, then those developers will simply resort to > following the mail alias on bugzilla. Not much gained IMHO. > > > Best regards, > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
The problem is that, when they are in mail alias, other could tend to assume that packages are maintained by him, while it could not be the case and it can cause confusion :-/ For example, media-optical was a lot of time with a dev listed in alias and, then, some of us assumed he was maintaining them (even if the herd was still shown as empty in herds.xml). Later, if I remember correctly, he dumped himself from mail alias and the herd became orphan without any notice. Another problem is that it's difficult to know the "degree" of herd maintenance when a dev is listed only in mail alias. Is he there to be aware of a few packages inside that herd or is he caring for most of them?