From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] The meaning of RESOLVED/UPSTREAM on bugzie
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 18:35:28
1 On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:01:18 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > UPSTREAM
5 > The requested bug is considered to be out of the purview of the
6 > distro and should be submitted/discussed directly with the
7 > respective upstream project. This could include a number of things
8 > such as changing default configuration options or behavior, adding
9 > new options or functionality, or deleting support for older
10 > systems.
11 >
12 > IMHO it would be out of proportion to remove the field, just because
13 > some developers don't use it as intended.
14
15 To me, this is a case of "bad choice of name leads to bad use"
16
17 I doubt many people actually know that definition.
18
19 But naming is hard.
20
21 The RESO/UPSTREAM situation would be *much* better if bugs that were marked
22 that way injected a blob of text *somewhere* on the page in a different colour
23 to inform the user about what it means.
24
25 "This bug has been marked `Upstream`, which means the nature of your request
26 is outside the scope of things Gentoo developers consider to be things within
27 their realm of responsibilities to resolve.
28
29 Please contact upstream and have them implement your feature/fix your bug
30 there, instead"
31
32 As it stands, receiving a "RESO/UPSTREAM" resolution is almost as big a slap in the face
33 as "RESO/INVALID".
34
35 _Especially_ when a developer marks a ticket as that without adequate explanation as to
36 why.
37
38 All you see is "Piss off mate, we don't like ya"
39
40 Even a class of "Resolved" is pretty much not useful here, because it implies
41 to the reader "the bug is gone", even though its not really.
42
43 "DEFERRED/OUTOFSCOPE" would probably be a more adequate and natural resolution
44 if you had to make one in a very small amount of space that conveyed all the right information.
45
46 Because then, if its merely "deferred", that implies it can be pushed back to Gentoo in
47 some capacity once external effort is complete, and then the author of the bug can:
48
49 1. Change the name of the bug from a request for a change, to a request for a bump to the feature-including bug
50 2. Change the resolution back to open
51 3. Have the bug resolved / Fixed.
52
53 "DEFERRED/TESTREQ" -- Its not resolved, but action can't complete until somebody tests it
54 "DEFERRED/INVALID" -- Data given so far indicates its not a bug, but perhaps better data could change that
55 "DEFERRED/NEEDINFO" -- Its not "fixed" as such, but we can't continue due to lack of information.
56
57 But I guess I'm reacting too much to the use of the word "Resolved", which is a bit easy to conflate.
58
59 Because while it is /a resolution/, "resolved" in colloquial usage /implies/ "fixed", even though
60 its use in bugzilla is no such thing.
61
62 But I think a renaming/recategorizing campeign at this point is too much, and an alternative of finding a way to embed
63 resolution-descriptions as helper text in the issue once a resolution state has been chosen, to smooth the path for the reader,
64 and to _reinforce_ what that resolution means, would probably be more productive.
65
66 But I suspect such a feature is best petitioned to bugzilla, so I could file a bug about this in Gentoo bugzilla that we
67 add this feature, and somebody can mark it "RESOLVED: UPSTREAM" and really satiate my meta-recursion fetish.