From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Agenda item: Formalize Gentoo's org structure
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 10:48:54
1 FYI, Trustees once again try to push their grab for power, ignoring GLEP 39 and the community members who do not subscribe to -nfp.
4 -------- Wiadomość oryginalna --------
5 Od: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
6 Wysłane: 9 kwietnia 2018 12:24:52 CEST
7 Do: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
8 Temat: [gentoo-nfp] Agenda item: Formalize Gentoo's org structure
9
10 Gentoo has been known to be a two headed entity for a while. While the
11 fact is that only one of the heads has legal standing to be called
12 Gentoo, the other head has been doing most of the technical work.
13 Unfortunately having two heads means that there can be fighting between
14 them. In order to finally put the matter to some rest I seek to define
15 Gentoo's org structure.
16
17 Currently, legally, it only consists of the following:
18 1. foundation members
19 2. trustees
20 3. officers (don't have to be foundation members or trustees)
21
22 I wish to extend that to the following.
23 1. foundation members
24 2. trustees
25 3. officers (don't have to be foundation members or trustees)
26 3.1 infra members (or at least the lead)
27 3.2 comrel members (or at least the lead)
28 3.3 council members
29
30 Infrastructure has a clearly defined role in Gentoo. Namely that of
31 managing foundation infrastructure resources. Bringing those members
32 under the foundation's umbrella formalizes this. Infra has previously
33 been fairly nebulous as to who directs them (having been directed by
34 council, trustees and comrel).
35
36 Comrel has the clear analog of being the HR (human relations). HR
37 is three to protect the business from human related infighting. Comrel
38 was previously under the direction of the council, primarily for
39 historical reasons (the foundation was not well staffed or run until
40 recently). I thank the council for managing this.
41
42 Council is supposed to be the technical leadership within Gentoo, over
43 the last decade or so this responsibility has ballooned to encompass
44 things out side this scope. This seeks to clearly define the powers of
45 the council to that of technical leadership.
48 One of the drawbacks of this is that being an officer means being an
49 'organ' of the business, meaning that some of the current members may
50 have conflicts with their current job. To this I ask 'Is what you are
51 doing now not vital? If it is doesn't that make you an organ (even if
52 not explicitly stated as such)?'
53
54 One of the good things about this (other than clearly defining roles and
55 boundaries) is that it allows council members to server as Trustees.
56 This would require a bylaw change, but has been something often
57 complained about.
60 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny (by phone)