From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: jstein@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 02:33:07
1 On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:55 PM R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 6:52 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > I refuse to sign anything.
5 > >
6 > > If the GPL works as intended, then anyone using my work would
7 > > themselves be making a derived work of their own for which they
8 > > themselves could enforce the GPL.
11 They could pursue the violation for just the copyright on the changes
12 they made, not to the work they derived it from.
13
14 For example, if somebody reproduced this email illegally (let's assume
15 it was distributed under a non-free license), I could sue them for
16 copying these two paragraphs, or for the email as a whole, but not if
17 they removed my additions and only sent the quoted text above.
18 Likewise you could sue them for copying the quoted text above, or for
19 the email as a whole, but not if they removed the quoted text and only
20 copied my additions. This email as a whole is a derived work, but if
21 I didn't quote you it probably wouldn't be.
24 > It is for this reason I never understood the point of contributor
25 > agreements for open source projects. Even the FSF's justification, so
26 > that they may pursue GPL violations without requiring you present,
27 > seems to fall apart as various Linux kernel contributors have gone
28 > after companies on their own for profit without the consent of Mr.
29 > Torvalds, the other contributors, or the Linux Foundation.
32 You're comparing apples and oranges here. The Linux kernel doesn't
33 require people to sign CLAs. That means that the Linux Foundation
34 generally CAN'T pursue copyright violators, but the individual
35 contributors CAN. If the contributors signed traditional CLAs, then
36 the Linux Foundation COULD pursue copyright violators, but the
37 individual contributors COULD NOT. A traditional CLA transfers the
38 rights of the creator to the assignee, at least under US law. I'm
39 speaking generally of course since what any particular CLA does is
40 governed by the wording of that particular CLA, and of course the
41 governing law.
42
43 The FSF wants people to sign CLAs so that THEY can pursue copyright
44 violators. The contributor already has this right, probably.
45
46 There are a few other nuances (again, talking about traditional CLAs
47 that assign copyright):
48
49 * Some question whether somebody holding copyright over only a small
50 part of software could on their own pursue a violator, or how
51 effective this would be. These people argue that a CLA consolidates
52 the copyrights so that instead of a bazillion people owning copyrights
53 to 3 lines each, you end up with 1 entity owning copyright to the
54 whole thing, which eliminates this issue.
55
56 * A CLA also can allow for relicensing beyond the limits of the
57 standard "or a later version" language (for projects that even use
58 this language). If a CLA is signed then an organization could choose
59 to switch from GPL to CDDL, or from BSD to Apache. Of course, many
60 traditional CLAs would also let them switch from GPL to "all rights
61 reserved," with the caveat that whatever was prevsiously released
62 under the GPL could still be redistributed and modified by recipients
63 under the GPL.
64
65 Note that the above pertains mostly to traditional CLAs. For the FSFe
66 FLA approach the main benefits are:
67
68 * Gentoo could re-license under a different free license, within the
69 limits of the agreement, assuming we owned enough of the code or
70 otherwise dealt with that issue. This could be useful if some new
71 license comes out later not related to the GPL/etc. If you care about
72 such things you'll want to read it for yourself, but the agreement is
73 structured to prevent shenanigans like proprietary re-licensing.
74
75 * One of the goals originally in the FLA was to make it exclusive in
76 a way that would ensure that Gentoo would know that you hadn't given
77 somebody else permission to use your contribution under a non-free
78 license (which means we know anybody doing this is in violation).
79 However, looking at the wording of section 2.3 of the new version I'm
80 not sure that this feature even applies anymore, as there don't seem
81 to be any copyleft restrictions on the grant back and its ability to
82 relicense. That seems like a bug the FSFe might want to look into.
83 In any case, without an FLA with the correct wording, there is no way
84 to know if somebody is in violation without contacting the original
85 contributor, because the original contributor could have given them
86 permission to use it under a non-free license. This makes detecting
87 violations more difficult.
88
89 (I realize the above might be confusing, and can elaborate further if desired.)
92 Rich