From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ChangeLog generation: Edit generated Changelogs
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:37:49
1 On 16-09-2011 17:08:01 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > Council decided to push back to ML the remaining bullet point about
3 > ChangeLog generation[1]
4
5 I propose that the council reconsiders their answers to all of the
6 questions, in particular the most important one "do we want ChangeLogs
7 to be auto-generated".
8
9 I propose instead that the council votes on NOT auto-generating
10 ChangeLogs, but instead asks the Portage team to implement updating the
11 ChangeLog file as part of repoman commit when there are files modified
12 (includes removal) excluding the ChangeLog file itself.
13
14 This solves most problems raised by council members, as well as others on
15 the various threads on this topic.
16 - The file can be edited (council intentional vote)
17 - All existing information is retained (council vote)
18 - Repoman updates ChangeLog so no filtering voodoo (council vote)
19 - Works with AnyVCS and branches*
20 - Needs no changes regarding Manifests, since ChangeLog is just in
21 AnyVCS, known to repoman during commit
24 * assuming the merger either uses plain commit before finally merging
25 the changes to the final tree (and committing with repoman commit
26 ther), or the merger simply resolves the conflict by discarding
27 changelog changes and performing final repoman commit with a full message
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level