From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Meeting agenda - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 19:43:08
1 On 18-04-07 12:33:57, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
3 > > 8. The council was requested to discuss and vote on the following motion [8]
4 > >
5 > > "The Gentoo council shall directly contact "Software in the Public Interest
6 > > Inc." (SPI), with the intention of Gentoo becoming a SPI Associated Project,
7 > > independent of the Gentoo Foundation."
8 >
9 > The X.Org Foundation joined SPI recently, after failing to file its
10 > taxes and losing its 501(c)(3) status. As far as I can tell everyone
11 > has been pleased with the results, especially not having to deal with
12 > the paperwork.
13 >
14 > But, what the fuck is going on? Perhaps if the Council is interested
15 > in a topic they would spare a few keystrokes to explain the rationale
16 > for such a change. From the perspective of someone who hasn't follow
17 > the Foundation closely, this whole thread looks like a spat between
18 > Council members and the Foundation trustees which is bizarre to say
19 > the least.
22 ATM, this seems like council wants a new org to manage them. The
23 foundation reached out to SPI iirc (ask alicef, she was the lead). They
24 didn't want to take on another org at the time. If they are willing now
25 we could try and reopen talks with them.
28 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)